The Forum “The Right and wrong side of the Wall(s)”, held in Setúbal, Portugal, between 05/12/2019 to 07/12/2019, brought together 157 participants, 134 from the city of Setubal (Portugal), 6 participants from the city of Haybes (France), 4 participants from Pollina (Italy), 4 participants from Miercurea-Ciuc (Romania), 5 participants from Starachowice (Poland) and 4 participants from Librazdh (Albania).
This event was organized around presentations and discussions between participants, young people, seniors and heritage/memory organizations, focusing on subjects such as lifestyles on both sides of the walls/Perceptions of the other side of the walls.
A debate was organized around the theme “Understanding the heart of the division”: “Us against them”/World wars/Cold war/Authoritarian regimes and dictatorships/ The price of the absence of democracy, to which all the participants actively participated.
The event also included participation in the official celebration of Europe Day and visits from local solidarity organizations and minority groups.
On the cultural side, they had the chance to visit the city and its main monuments and discover the local traditional gastronomy. A surprise was provided to all the participants: a boat trip to the Sado River and meet the dolphin community that lives there.
After the opening Ceremony of the FORUM RIGHT AND WRONG SIDE OF THE WALL(S) and the international partner’s reception by REDEFINE and the Mayor of Setúbal, various activities were developed during the three-day period of the event. The main ones were:
- Setúbal from the Decadence of the First Republic to the Early Days of the Dictatorship, DR. DIOGO FERREIRA, History graduate with a Master’s Degree in Contemporary History from the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, New University of Lisbon, with a dissertation on Setúbal and the First World War (1914-1918).
- Resistance to Fascism, yesterday’s Combat, Today and Tomorrow: PEDRO SOARES, Member of the Union of Portuguese Antifascist Resisters and Elected to the Municipal Assembly of Setúbal for the Democratic Electoral Coalition (CDU)
- “From the Dictatorship to the 25th of April – Memories, Experiences and Contrasts. SPEAKERS: Administrators of UNISETI: Prof. Dr. Arlindo Mota, Dr. Maria Carmo Branco
- Memories of the 1st World War” – Mr Vincent Rigaud
- Mr Stanimir Gramatikov, Counsellor of the Bulgarian Ambassador in Portugal: Youth Policies in Bulgaria
- Speeches by Mayors from Partner Countries: Youth Policies and Objectives
- FR – Mr Bennoit Sonnet (Mayor of Haybes)
- AL – Kastriot Gurra (Mayor of Librazhd)
- IT – Angela Genchi (Pollima City Councillor)
- PL – Marek Materek (Mayor of Starachowice)
- RO – Karoly Szabo (Project Manager)
- Restless Youth – Youth Division of Setubal Municipality:
Speakers: Marta Gonçalves: Degree in Biology from the Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon and Master in Biotechnology from the Faculty of Science and Technology, New University of Lisbon. Trained pianist and photographer by passion. She is a senior technician in the Youth Division of Setúbal City Council; Filipa Bento: Graduated in Social Communication, Journalism, from the Higher School of Education of the Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal and Master in Audiovisual and Multimedia from the Higher School of Social Communication of the Polytechnic Institute of Lisbon. Senior technician in the Youth Division of Setúbal City Council.
- Projection of Video “The Future of Europe” made by Setúbal Academy/Fernando Cruz
- Competition “Tell your Story”, Individual presentations of the selected works by each partner country.
- France 1: Lisa from Givet Secondary School (France) Repression and deportation in France and Europe, 1939-1945
- France 2 : Mathieu DAUGET “…”
- Poland: Eliza Tyl “…”
- Romania : Hunor Nándor Kovács
- Debate Between the Young People and the Authorities Present: What is important for young people and what Europe they want!”
- Youth Choir: Songs of the Revolution